Leadership has been defined in a number of different ways, but one thing remains the same, Leadership is inspiring. Leadership is also about doing the right things. Wikipedia describes leadership as the action of leading a group or an organization. There are various kinds of leadership but one that interests me a lot is transformation leadership, first proposed by James MacGregor Burns.
According to transformation leadership, an effective leader does the following,
- Creates an inspiring vision of the future.
- Motivates and inspires people to engage with that vision.
- Manages delivery of the vision.
- Coaches and builds a team, so that it is more effective at achieving the vision.
Great leaders have followers — people follow them for who they are, not what their title is. Why do people follow them? Because they trust them, like them, and get inspired by them.
Expert power is something that makes a better leader. The following are the 10 qualities of a leader with expert power.
1.They promote an image of expertise.
2.They maintain credibility.
3. Act confidently and decisively especially in a crisis.
4. They are readers. They keep informed
5. They don’t only listen, but they listen carefully. They know how to use empathy very well.
6. Simplify constantly. If you understand something, they you can easily explain it in the simplest way.
7.Understand breath, depth and context.
8. Focused and super skilled in few areas of expertise.
Finally, “The very essence of leadership is that you have to have a vision. It’s got to be a vision you articulate clearly and forcefully on every occasion. You can’t blow an uncertain trumpet.” –Theodore Hesburgh